Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Scarlet Fever

Ok, so you can't tell by the picture that I took way too late in the process...but Teagan is getting over Scarlet Fever!!!! Almost 2 weeks ago I took Teagan and Kamryn to the doctor for colds. Teagan ended up having a double ear infection (he's never had an ear infection before and didn't even complain about it.). And both kids had bad yucky colds. Anyway, they gave us a Rx for Teagan's ear infection and we went on our merry way. We moved into our new house a couple days later and the colds were not getting any better...but no complaints of a sore throat, so I didn't even think strep. But about a week ago, I noticed that Teagan had some little red bumps on his cheeks, so I lifted his shirt and he was covered in these little red bumps. We thought maybe it was an allergic reaction to the Rx for the ear infection and the Dr told us to give him some Benadryl and see how they looked after that. Nothing changed and so when John got home from work, he took Teagan (who has still been in high spirits and crazy as ever) to insta-care. John suffered from scarlet fever which led to rhamatic (sp?) fever on his mission, so he was pretty concerned. But since Teagan seemed ok and never complained of a sore throat (strep usually preceeds scarlet fever) I didn't think too much of it. *sigh* I felt like a terrible mom when John came home with a new Rx and our son who definitely had Scarlet Fever. How could I let this happen? I watched him, asked him questions, tried to take good care of him...but who knew you could have strep and not know it. I've had it once when we were newly weds...and it kicked my butt! Anyway, Teagan has been on his new Rx for almost a week now, looks and feels great, and is doing tons better! And luckily none of the rest of us caught it. And even though John and Brody both ended up with colds too.....everyone is on the mend. Kamryn even slept 9 hours last night!!!

3 comments:

Katianne said...

It's the Langston curse, Tia. We all have weird strep symptoms, so definitely don't be hard on yourself that you couldn't tell, even the Cleveland clinic doctors couldn't find John's. I'm sorry ya'll had to deal with it though, but I'm glad everyone is on the mend. Hope to see ya soon Fam!

Annie Sunshine said...

It runs in our family...sorry Teagan seemed to get those genes. My kids hardly ever complain of a sore throat when they get it...especially Bryce.

They sometimes get a slight fever, but my two tell-tale signs are rosy cheeks and an episode of throwing up. Every single time they get it that is the combo they show. And since I know it does go to scarlet fever if it isn't caught, I always get nervous when I see rosy cheeks with throwing up...unfortunatly they have the same signs for stomach flu.

Every time we move and get a new doctor they look at me like I am nuts when I ask for a strep test when they are only showing these signs...when it shows up positive they say "Hmmmm..., I've never seen that before."

birdeeb said...

wow that sucks! You are not a bad mom!